***Please note that I am on maternity leave as of April 2021. Please see the “Contact” page for information on other IBCLCs you may contact for care.***
I offer home visits in Ithaca, NY and surrounding areas in Tompkins and Cortland County, including Dryden, Groton, Lansing, Newfield, Enfield, Trumansburg, Caroline, Cortland, and Homer, and extending up the east side of Cayuga Lake to Aurora. (Visits outside those areas are possible, but there may be an additional travel fee. Contact me for more information.)
*** NOTE: As many people are taking measures to limit their contact/exposure to others, particularly families with young babies, home visits and telehealth are a good option for care. Please see here for my current prevention practices. If you schedule a home visit, you will complete a COVID-19 health screening form before your appointment is confirmed. If we cannot do an in-person visit, we can schedule a telehealth virtual visit, which still may be scheduled online. I can drop my (thoroughly sanitized) scale off before the visit so that we can still do a weight check and pre/post weights to see how much milk your baby is taking in. I have conducted multiple visits this way and been pleased with the outcome. ***
This is a full lactation consult visit in the comfort of your own home. (No need to get out of your pajamas!) A typical visit takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours and includes:
- A thorough history of you and baby
- Observation and assessment of a feeding session
- Weight check of baby, including weighing before and after feeding on a special scale to measure how much milk they’re taking in
- Help with latch and positioning
- Time to discuss your questions and concerns
- A customized plan to help you meet your goals
- Written materials and community resources
- A full report of the visit to your primary health care provider
- Phone and e-mail follow-up
Initial postpartum visits are $150; follow up postpartum visits are $75. I will help you navigate requesting reimbursement from your insurance for the visit, but note that reimbursement in part or full is not guaranteed.
A prenatal consult can set you up to start feeding your baby with confidence and an excellent support system! Prenatal consults can be helpful especially if you:
- have a history of chest/breast surgery
- had difficulties with chest/breastfeeding a previous baby
- are concerned about anatomical issues like inverted nipples
- know you or your baby may have other challenges that impact feeding
- feel anxious about getting feeding off to the best start
- are interested in inducing lactation as a non-gestational parent
This visit takes place in the comfort of your own home. We’ll discuss your questions and concerns, we will review any medical or breastfeeding history, and I will examine your chest/breasts and nipples if needed. We’ll develop a “game plan” for getting off to the best start possible, and I’ll send you a written plan, local resources, and communicate with your health care provider if needed.
If you are scheduling the visit to discuss inducing lactation, we will discuss options for induction (including hormonal and non-hormonal methods), how to get milk production started, how to start directly nursing your baby (if that is one of your goals), and how much milk your baby will need. If two people will be nursing the baby, we will also discuss how to balance that and keep both people’s milk production going.
**NOTE: I am currently scheduling prenatal visits as virtual-only. If you have special circumstances and would like to request an in-person prenatal visit, please contact me.**